Plus Points This Summer For Toyota’s Prius+
This summer, Toyota will be launching the Prius+, what they are claiming is Europe’s first fully hybrid seven-seat MPV: hybrid technology expanding into yet another section of the car market, complete with the all-new lighter and more compact lithium-ion battery pack.
It also falls below the 100g/km CO2 threshold for zero road tax and London congestion charge exemption, all thanks to the exceptional efficiency of its Hybrid Synergy Drive powertrain and its light weight and wind-cheating aerodynamics. And if you are impressed by figures, CO2 emission is 96g/km (for the T4), and fuel economy 68.9mpg for the same model. (For the T Spirit it’s 101g/km and 64.2mpg – still worth a wolf-whistle)
The slim lithium-ion battery is installed within the centre console thereby avoiding any intrusion into the space available for rear seat passengers and for load carrying. Now that that is mentioned – an important part of an MPV and immense selling point –there’s five separate folding rear seats and even with all of these in place there is 200 litres of luggage space; with the third row stowed, this figure rises to 505 litres.
As you will have guessed from the earlier paragraph, the Prius+ will be available in two models – T4 and T Spirit – and although the full range of equipment and styling options are yet to be fully confirmed, the list of standards is pretty impressive.
Taking the T4 as the base, you’ll be getting:
- 16” alloys with wheel caps
- Toyota Touch Touchscreen audio with multimedia control/connectivity, 6 speaker audio unit and Bluetooth phone connection and music streaming
- Head-up display
- Rear-view camera
- Smart Entry and Start
- Automatic Air Conditioning
- Electric Windows and Electric heated and folding windows
- Panoramic roof with automatic shade
- Touch Tracer controls
- Rain activated wipers Rear sunshade
- Electric lumbar support for the driver
- Leather upholstery
And for the T-Spirit. All these PLUS:
- 17” alloy wheels
- Toyota Touch and Go plus touchscreen satellite navigation, audio and multimedia control/connectivity with 8 speaker JBL audio system, advanced Bluetooth and traffic information
- Voice recognition and text-to-speech function
Seven exterior colours are available for Prius+: Pure White and Astral Black (solid); Decuma Grey, Tyrol Silver, Vermilion Red and Orion Blue (metallics); and White Pearl (pearlescent). The T4 grade comes with Hayama grey cloth upholstery, with Nagara black leather fitted to the T Spirit.
And the only problem is, with it arriving in the summer, you’ll have to wait ages to show it off on the school run and have to use it to ferry all the kids around with almost no green-eyed monsters following your every move.