BMW i Technology Makes Debut on New BMW 740e and 740Le xDRIVE
Nationwide Vehicle Contracts have some great offers on the sixth generation of the BMW 7 Series, one of the top models in the BMW range, "blending comfort, style, dynamic ability and cutting edge technology in equal measure to create an inspiring mode of luxury transport."
And now, to complete the range, the BMW 7 Series has upped the stakes by borrowing technology from the BMW i sub-brand (and thereby following in the footsteps of the BMW X5 eDrive40e, BMW 225xe and the BMW 330e) to create plug-in-hybrid variants in the shape of the new BMW 740e and 740Le xDrive.
Benefiting from both BMW eDrive and the BMW i Carbon Core body structure, both models find themselves part of the BMW iPerformance range, where the intelligently controlled interaction between the combustion engine and the electric drive generates a total system output of 326hp which, in turn, allows the BMW 740e and 740 xDrive to show off strong acceleration whilst simultaneously keeping both fuel consumption and emissions as low as possible.
The cars’ sporty driving characteristics are accompanied by extraordinarily low petrol consumption and emissions. In fact, the BMW 740e records a combined fuel consumption of 134.5mpg with CO2 emissions associated with petrol consumption at 49g/km, and the 740Le xDrive achieves 117.7mpg and 54g/km. Both can travel with all-electric, locally emission-free driving for around 29 miles.
The Hybrid Drivetrain: an advanced partnership
Pure-electric driving is achieved via the integration of the electric motor into the eight-speed Steptronic transmission where the dynamics-enhancing electric boost function and the recuperation of braking energy operate efficiently together.
With the combustion engine producing an output of 258hp and the electric drive system 112hp, a combined system output of 326hp and a combined peak torque of 500Nm is produced, allowing the BMW 740e to accelerate from zero to 62mph in 5.4 seconds and the BMW 740Le xDrive in 5.3 seconds.
The high-voltage lithium-ion battery is stored underneath the rear seat bench in a space-saving position that also provides optimum crash safety, allowing both models to offer a luggage capacity of 420 litres.
BMW 740Le xDrive
This ensures supreme traction, optimised directional stability and enhanced agility through all types of corners in all-weather and road conditions, and a dynamic accelerative ability of 0-62mph in just 5.3 seconds.
Like all other iPerformance models, BMW 740Le xDrive drivers can make use of the eDrive button to change how the plug-in hybrid drive system operates by choosing between:
- The AUTO eDRIVE hybrid function that ensures the combustion engine and electric motor work together to the dynamically optimised effect.
- The MAX eDRIVE pure-electric mode with a top speed of 87mph.
Plug-in hybrid variants of the new BMW 7 Series are also equipped as standard with the newly designed Driving Experience Control switch on the centre console which enables the driver to choose between ECO, PRO, COMFORT, ADAPTIVE, and SPORT to optimise dynamics, comfort or efficiency.
Features of the BMW Series 7 iPerformance cars
- Two-axle air suspension with automatic self-levelling
- Dynamic Damper Control
- Optional Integral Active Steering
- High-strength passenger cell
- Front and side airbags,
- Head/curtain airbags for the front and rear rows of seats
- Knee airbag on the driver’s side active head restraints
- Three-point inertia-reel seat belts with belt force limiters and belt tensioners in the front seats
- ISOFIX child seat mountings in the rear
- Active Protection system.
- Charging connection for the high-voltage battery in the left front wing
- “eDrive” badges on the C-pillars
- LED headlights
- BMW Display Key
- ConnectedDrive navigation package
- Smartphone integration with an inductive charging facility for the phone battery
- iDrive operating system including a touchscreen function for the Control Display and the globally unique BMW gesture control feature
- Auxiliary heating and air conditioning (using energy from the high-voltage battery)
- BMW Remote app
- Ambient light function (including a Welcome Light Carpet and Ambient highlight in the rear)
- Optional Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System
- Optional Ambient Air package.
"Customers can also specify comfort seats, active seat ventilation, the massage function with Vitality Programme and the Heat Comfort package for both front and rear seats. The Executive Lounge option brings an unbeatable sense of personal wellbeing to the rear of the BMW 740Le and BMW 740Le xDrive while the Sky Lounge Panorama glass roof is also available for these models as an option."
And when it comes to Driver Assistance Packages both the BMW 740e and BMW 740Le xDrive don't skimp on these as they offer such systems as the new-generation BMW Head-Up Display , Parking Assistant, Driving Assistant, Driving Assistant Plus and Surround View systems., along with optional M Sport package, Pure Excellence exterior design and interior design packages and BMW Individual Design Composition.
The BMW 740e and BMW 740Le xDrive are available now to lease from Nationwide Vehicle Contracts. Contact one of our Customer Service Representatives now to grab a great offer.