Nationwide Vehicle Contracts explains the process of ordering an in-stock lease car.
If you need a lease car ASAP, you'll likely be interested in a car in stock. But what does 'in-stock' mean, and how long can an in-stock car be delivered?
To help manage your expectations, Nationwide Vehicle Contracts explains what 'in-stock' means and addresses the statutory cooling-off period and delivery lead times.
What are stock cars?
Stock cars are new cars that the manufacturer has already built. They are available for delivery much quicker than a traditional factory order.
Because the car has already been built, customisation options are usually unavailable on stock cars, although you still have a choice regarding colour.
What does 'in-stock' mean?
'In-stock' refers to cars that are in the UK and available for delivery within three to four weeks. They are usually held at the dealership (most dealerships hold a stock of popular models) or in central stock (such as a holding compound or shipping dock).
Occasionally, a vehicle might be classed as 'in-stock' if it's currently in shipment to the UK, as dealers can track the car arriving as stock on their system.
It's worth enquiring about where your in-stock car is to avoid any disappointments down the line.
How long does it take for an in-stock car to be delivered?
When you order an in-stock car, it should typically arrive within three to four weeks. However, a few factors influence the exact delivery date, such as the dealership's location, distance to the customer's house, and the specific arrangements made.
The dealership needs to complete some final preparations on the vehicle before its delivered, such as a pre-delivery inspection and detailing.
If you want a more accurate estimate of the delivery time, ring your leasing company or dealership, who should be able to provide you with the required information.
What factors can impact the delivery of a car that's already in stock?
Numerous factors can impact the delivery of an in-stock car, such as:
- Statutory Cooling-Off Period – Regulated lease agreements are subject to a cooling-off period of 14 days in which you can change your mind about the contract. The period is observed by finance companies and applies to all vehicles. Vehicles cannot be delivered until the cooling-off period expires.
- Weather and transport issues – Weather conditions that cause traffic delays will push back the delivery time of an in-stock vehicle.
- Demand – If there's a high demand for a particular car model, the dealership might be busy fulfilling orders for other customers and could run out of delivery drivers.
How can I speed up the delivery process?
There are a few things you can do to help speed up the delivery process of your lease vehicle, such as:
- Ensuring all documentation is correct. Check that all your information is correct, such as the information on your finance proposal, your ID, and the signature on your finance documents.
- Return your finance documents electronically instead of by post.
- Ensure your vehicle insurance is arranged before your delivery date. Your lease car cannot be delivered until you are insured to drive it.
What should I do if my car is delayed beyond the estimated delivery time?
If your car is delayed, there are several steps you can take:
- Contact your leasing company or dealership – Get in touch with your leasing company or car dealership and see if they can explain the reason for the delay or if they can push it forward.
- Document the delay – Keep a record, including the original estimated delivery date and any updated information you receive. This can be helpful if you need to take further action.
- Consider your options – Depending on your circumstances, you might have several options if the delay is significant. You could wait until the car is delivered, request a courtesy car, or cancel the lease altogether. Remember not to make a rash decision and thoroughly think it through before taking action.
Looking for an in-stock car? Nationwide Vehicle Contracts has a range of fast lease vehicles available where you could be behind the wheel sooner than you think.
For more information, check out our fast lease deals or speak to one of our experts on 0345 811 9595.