Cost of installing a dedicated home charger
The cost of a home EV charger varies depending on several factors, including the charger's speed and the type of installation required. Still, you may be eligible for a government OZEV grant to help keep costs down.
If you order a home EV Charger with Pod Point via Nationwide Vehicle Contracts, fully installing a home charging point costs £899, and once installed, you only have to pay for the electricity you use.
Check out our electric car charging costs guide to learn more about the cost of charging at home.
Am I eligible for a home EV charger?
To be eligible for a home EV charger, you need to have:
- Dedicated off-street parking
- Permission from your landlord (if you're renting)
- A good Wi-Fi connection at your property or a SIM router with a 3G or 4G SIM
- Be situated in mainland Great Britain
- Registered as the owner or driver of an EV (including most plug-in hybrids)
To have a home charger installed, you must also have dedicated off-street parking. You can not have a home charger installed if you do not own the parking or have the sole legal right to the space.
- Spaces shared with other properties
- Rented spaces
- Spaces that offer access routes to other properties
The parking must be appropriate for a charge point installation which the installer will conduct a survey before installation. The parking must be eligible for the vehicle to be charged safely and have access to the parking space at all times.
Am I eligible for the OZEV grant?
To be eligible for the OZEV grant, you must meet several requirements:
- You must have off-street parking.
- You must install an OZEV-approved charge point.
- You must use an OZEV-approved charge point installer such as Pod Point.
- You must have your installation completed by 31 March 2022.
- Purchased or be in the process of purchasing an eligible vehicle from the OZEV vehicle list and meet the conditions for car ownership.
If you've already claimed the grant (even under the former Domestic Recharge Scheme), you're not eligible unless you own two qualifying vehicles at the same time, in which case you can claim the grant for a second charge point.
How do I claim the OZEV grant?
To claim up to £350 off the cost of a home charging point with the OZEV grant, you have to contact an approved installer such as Pod Point, as you cannot apply for the OZEV grant yourself. The installer must do it on your behalf.
You must meet the requirements because the installers application team will ask you to submit evidence to prove your eligibility. After you've accepted your installation quote and paid, the installer can start the grant application on your behalf and will keep you updated throughout the process.
However, it's important to remember the current OZEV grant ends 31 March 2022 and can't be claimed for installs completed after that date.
What is typically included with standard installation of a dedicated home charger?
A standard installation package for the home charge point typically includes: