In this guide we take a look at the process of transferring a lease contract for Limited Companies, otherwise known as a Novation.
What is a Novation?
A Novation is the movement of one vehicle contract from one Limited Company to another Limited Company. With a Novation, the parameters of the original agreement (e.g. term, mileage and monthly rentals) as well as the contract type remains the same, on receipt of the correct Novation documentation.
A Novation applies to unregulated agreements only for any product excluding Contract Purchase. Both Limited Companies (existing customer and new company) must also be solvent to request a Novation.
Why would a Novation be required?
There are many reasons why a Novation may be required. In most cases, a Novation is required because the existing customer (Limited Company) has been bought out by another Limited Company and the assets need to be moved across. Another reason may be because the driver of the vehicle has moved jobs and it has been agreed between the existing customer (Limited Company) and the new customer (Limited Company) to also move across the lease vehicle.
What is the criteria for a Novation?
The contract must be transferring from one Limited Company to another Limited Company. Limited Companies include LTD, LLP and PLC.
- There is more than 12 months remaining on the contract.
- Both companies (existing and new customer) must be solvent.
- The contract type must remain the same.
- The current contractual agreement must not be in default.
- The address on the documentation for both existing and new customer must match the address on Companies House.
- Two signatures (2 Directors or 1 Director and 1 Company Secretary) from each company will be required.
- The new customer must have been credit approved before a Novation is requested.
Can anyone request a Novation quotation?
No because this option is not available with all funders. A Novation is at the discretion of the finance provider.
A Novation will also not be provided where:
The vehicle has less than 12 months to run on the contract.
- The Novation agreement has not been completed in full.
For Insolvency Novations, please contact Nationwide Vehicle Contracts on 0345 811 9595 to discuss.
How much does a Novation cost?
The cost of a Novation varies from funder to funder. On average, the total cost is £295 excl. VAT subject to approval by the finance provider. This fee represents two costs:
£200 (exc VAT) of which is paid to the finance provider for the administration of the Novation agreement.
- £95 (exc VAT) of which represents the costs incurred by Nationwide Vehicle Contracts for processing the arrangement on your behalf.
The £200 exc VAT fee charged by the funder is invoiced direct to the customer at point of approval of Novation. The £95 exc VAT fee charged by Nationwide Vehicle Contracts is payable by debit or credit card or by BACs payment and will be taken at point of approval from the finance provider. Credit card payments will be subject to a 1.95% charge.
I want to request a Novation quotation, what do I do?
Read through the criteria list above to ensure you meet the requirements before calling us. Specifically, we ask you to check that you have more than 12 months remaining on your contract and that both companies are solvent.
- Contact the Nationwide Vehicle Contracts team on 0345 811 9595 or via email to request a Novation. Please note, we will only be able to discuss a Novation with the person named on the finance documentation and you must have your registration number to hand. Email requests can take up to 3 working days to be actioned so if your request is urgent, please call us.
- We will contact the funder to see if you are eligible for a Novation and will be in touch to advise accordingly.
- If you are eligible, the new Limited Company (who will be taking on the lease contract) must fill out a Finance Application form as a credit check will be required. You can fill out a Business Finance Form online. Please note, it can take up to 5 working days for us to receive a credit decision back from the funder.
- If your finance application has been approved, we will be in touch. We will then forward the Deeds and covering letter across to you. Please check the documentation carefully to ensure everything is correct.
- Print off three copies of the Deeds on plain paper and ensure all parties (existing customer, new customer and funder) sign the Deeds. Two signatures (2 Directors or 1 Director and 1 Company Secretary) from each company will be required.
- Return the 3 Deeds, plus the completed Direct Debit Mandate to us by post as we need the originals. At this point you will also need to pay the £295 exc VAT admin fee, £200 exc VAT of which will be invoiced direct by the funder, £95 exc VAT of which is payable by debit or credit card or by BACs payment direct to Nationwide Vehicle Contracts.
- Once we have received the signed documentation, we will send this to the funder for review. Please allow 3-5 working days for this to be received as the funder will not accept scanned copies of the agreement.
- Upon receipt of the correct documentation, the funder will update the system with the new details. A copy of each countersigned Completed Deed will be sent to you and the funder will keep the third set of Deeds.
- The Novation will only be effective from the Date that the funder signs the Deeds.
How long will the process take?
The process involved in a Novation can vary case to case as it is often dependent on the funder. We advise that from beginning to end, the process can take up to 2 to 3 months to process depending on when the Deeds are signed by all parties.
Have a question regarding a Novation? Contact the Nationwide Vehicle Contracts team on 0345 811 9595 (option 3).