What is SMART Plus Insurance?
SMART Plus Insurance covers your lease vehicle against minor body work and alloy wheel damage. It is a separate insurance policy to your standard motor insurance and any approved body damage will be repaired using SMART repair techniques (Small Minor Area Repair Technology), and your damaged and unsightly alloy wheels will be repaired or replaced.
What does SMART Plus Insurance include?
- The cost of minor body repairs up to £500 (including VAT) per individual claim.
- The cost of multiple claims up to a total limit of £3,000.
- Cover for up to £150 per alloy wheel claim.
- If the damage is not repairable using a SMART Repair technique, a contribution of up to £150. This will include VAT towards a Bodyshop repair, so long as the repair is not the subject of a motor insurance claim.
- In the event accidental or malicious damage takes place within the UK, Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands, repairs will be made to the alloy wheel or a contribution will be made towards a replacement if it is beyond repair.
What does SMART Plus Insurance exclude?
Not all vehicle damage is covered by SMART Plus Insurance and you must make a claim within a specified time limit. Specifically, SMART Plus Insurance does not cover:
- Any claim where the incident date is before the policy start date.
- Any damage caused where the vehicle is used for reasons other than day-to-day motoring or the damage is the subject of a motor insurance claim.
- Any minor cosmetic damage or alloy wheel damage which is not reported within 30 days of the incident date.
- Damage that is not repairable by a SMART repair, is beyond minor cosmetic damage or because of the extent or number of areas of damage, a Bodyshop repair is required.
- Where the body panel, bumper or wing mirror is ripped, perforated, cracked or torn or there is damage to the structure and/ or alignment.
- Damage to the roof, locks or handles, beading, mouldings, lamps, window panels or wheel trims.
- Stone chip damage to the vehicle.
- Any damage that has been accumulated over an extended period which we or the administrator deem to be wear and tear.
- Any damage showing evidence of rust, corrosion or hail impact.
- Any damage caused by stickers or decals.
- Any minor cosmetic damage or alloy wheel damage where an approved repairer deems the repair unsafe.
- Any replacement parts required, including stickers and decals.
- A defect which is deemed not to be accidental damage or a previous repair that was substandard.
- Any claim relating to a road traffic accident or as a result of fire, theft or flood.
- Any claim arising from manufacturing defects or inherent design faults or where the alloy wheel is subject to recall or replacement by the manufacturer.
- Any claim relating to an alloy wheel that is not fitted to the vehicle.
- Any damage to an alloy wheel showing evidence of rust or corrosion or any defect which is not deemed to be caused by accidental or malicious damage.
- Any claim for malicious damage that is not accompanied by a crime reference number.
- Any claim relating to damage caused by neglect or a deliberate, careless act or omission by you.
- Any amount that exceeds the benefit level per claim or in a tool, as detailed in section 5 – what is covered.
- If during the policy term the vehicle is used for any of the excluded uses that appear in section 3 – eligibility.
- The cost of any routine maintenance or adjustments.
- Any VAT where you are VAT registered and able to reclaim the VAT element.
- For consequences damage of any kind or any consequential loss, injury or damage.
For full terms and conditions please refer to your policy document.
How long am I covered for?
Up to 36 months of cover is available with SMART Plus Insurance. The cover runs from the start date, which for lease agreements is usually the date the insured vehicle is delivered. The cover end date will be the first of the following dates:
- the end date of the policy as shown on your policy schedule, or
- the date on which the maximum claims amount has been reached
- you fail to pay your premium when due
- you, or the vehicle, no longer meet the eligibility criteria for your policy
- the vehicle is sold or transferred to a new owner, other than under section 9 – transferring your policy
- the policy is cancelled by either you or us
Please note, this insurance policy cannot be renewed and can only be taken out within 30 days of delivery of your new lease vehicle.
Am I covered both in the UK and Europe?
As long as the damage meets our criteria, cover is provided for incidents which occur within the UK and Isle of Man, Channel Islands and member countries of the EU.
Are there any restrictions on cover?
The following vehicles are NOT eligible for cover:
Any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes
Emergency vehicles, taxi or vehicle used for hire or reward
Buses, vans, trucks and motorcycles
Vehicles used for deliveries or dispatch
Road-racing, rallying, pace-making, speed testing or any other competitive event
Vehicle with wheels of chrome finish, or split rim construction
What are the benefits of SMART Plus Insurance?
The main benefit of taking out SMART Plus Insurance is you can maintain the appearance of your lease car throughout your agreed contract length. Repairing minor damage as it happens will help avoid the cost of extra fees when your vehicle is inspected at the end of your contract. SMART Plus Insurance also means there will be no vehicle down time while it is in the body shop, so you’ll never have to arrange alternative transport and you’ll avoid hefty body shop bills.
Other body benefits include:
- Scratches, minor dents, and damage to the bumper of the vehicle up to 30cm in diameter are covered.
- Professional repair carried out at a time convenient for you.
- Unlimited number of claims up to the maximum aggregate of £3,000.
- If the damage is within 30cm but requires a body shop repair, your policy will contribute £150 towards the cost.
- Cover for up to 36 months.
Other alloy benefits include:
- Cover for up to £150 per alloy wheel claim.
- Up to 10 alloy wheel claims.
- Protects the resale value of your vehicle.
- Available on new and used vehicles.
- If your wheel is damaged beyond repair, a contribution of up to £150 towards the cost of a replacement wheel.
- Cover your wheels for up to 36 months.
What should I consider before taking out SMART Plus Insurance?
As with any insurance policy, it is important that you review the policy, including any exclusions to ensure that SMART Plus Insurance is right for you. Things to consider include:
Minor body repair
- Any damage which is not SMART Plus repairable is not covered.
- SMART Plus repair technology will not correct damage to bonnets, boots and roofs.
- Damage needs to be reported within 30 days of occurring on the vehicle.
- Vehicles used as emergency vehicles, driving school cars, or any other type of hire and reward are excluded.
- Vehicles used for road racing, rallying, pace-making, speed testing and any other competitive events are excluded.
- Commercial vehicles weighing over 3.5 tonnes, busses, vans and motorcycles are excluded.
- General wear and tear, or neglect, is not covered
- A road traffic accident is not covered
- Theft of alloy wheels is not covered
- Manufacturing defects are not covered
- Chrome wheels, or wheels of a split rim construction are not covered
- Damage caused by a thrid party for general maintenance is not covered
- Any damage incurred more than 30 days before a claim is reported is not covered
- Vehicles used as emergency vehicles, driving school cars, or any other type of hire and reward are excluded
- Vehicles used for road racing, rallying, pace-making, speed testing and any other competitive events are excluded
- Commercial vehicles weighing over 3.5 tonnes, busses, vans and motorcycles are excluded
Please note, all aftermarket repairs vary from the manufacturers factory finish which is machine sprayed to a degree beyond that achievable by human capability.
Is SMART Plus Insurance compulsory when leasing a vehicle with Nationwide Vehicle Contracts?
Please be aware, SMART Plus Insurance is not compulsory. However, Nationwide Vehicle Contracts believes it is a great option to protect your lease vehicle, your premium, and your finances against minor body work and alloy wheel damage that occur more often than not from means out of our control, regardless of how carefully you drive.
What are my obligations?
- You must provide full and accurate information to all questions asked. Your answers must be true to the best of your knowledge and belief. Your answers will form part of the statement of facts on which your policy will be based. If you become aware that information you have given us is inaccurate or has changed, you must inform us as soon as possible. Failure to do this may invalidate your policy and claims may not be paid.
- You must be the UK registered keeper or hirer of the insured vehicle which was purchased within the last 30 days and is to be principally used in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or Channel Islands and for no more than 60 days in any one trip within the EU.
- You must advise us if you sell or transfer ownership of the vehicle. If the transfer of ownership is to a family member and within 90 days of the start date it is possible to transfer the cover. You will need to contact us to arrange the transfer.
- You must make us aware of any change in circumstances that effect your eligibility for this policy.
- In the event we cannot complete a minor damage repair and instruct you to arrange a body shop repair, you are required to submit a paid invoice to us for reimbursement of your £150.
- All claims must be reported to us as soon as possible, and no later than 30 days after the damage occurred.
For all obligations please refer to your policy document.
How much does SMART Plus Insurance cost?
SMART Plus Insurance costs £399 which can paid as a one-off payment via credit or debit card or 10 monthly instalments of £39.90 by direct debit.
Who is the underwriter?
AmTrust International Underwriters DAC is authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland under reference no. C33525 and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority under reference number 203014.
Fortegra Europe Insurance Company Limited
The Reed Centre
Ta’ Xbiex Marina
How do I make a claim through SMART Plus Insurance?
The first step to making a claim is to contact an administrator as soon as you become aware of an incident that has resulted in damage by either visiting – www.premiasolutions.com/contactus – or calling 01926 622 660. If you prefer, you can even write to Premia Solutions Limited, the address is:
Premia Solutions Limited
3 Corunna Court
Once you have been in touch with the administrator, they will provide you with a claim form, explain the process and tell you how to submit the claim form. You will then need to complete the form, ensuring any sections that need to be completed by others are filled in.
Please note, the administrator will require photographs of the damage in order to assess your claim. For minor cosmetic damage you are required to include evidence of the diameter of the damage by using a ruler when taking the photographs. Where your alloy wheel has suffered malicious damage, you must obtain a crime reference number from the police and provide this to the administrator. The claim form and any other information the administrator may require must be received within the 30 days of the incident date.
In regards to alloy wheel damage, you can claim up to 10 alloy wheels repairs to keep your wheels looking spick and span.
How do I cancel the contract?
Please note, you have the right to cancel your policy at any time. If you cancel within 30 days of your policy start date or receipt of the policy terms (whichever is later) and have not made a successful claim on your policy, you will be entitled to a full refund or premium paid. However, if you cancel after 30 days and have not made a successful claim on your policy, you will entitled to a pro rata refund. A pro rata refund is based on the number of fully unexpired months remaining on your policy, minus a fixed amount of £50 to cover our costs incurred on relation to your cancellation policy.
A pro rata refund example is as follows:
- 36-month policy term
- £360 total premium paid for policy
- cancellation in month 12 leaves 24 full months remaining
- pro rata refund of £240 less £50 administration fee
- amount of refund due to you is £190
If you do decide to cancel your policy, please contact an administrator by calling – 01926 622 660 – or writing to Premia Solutions Limited:
Premia Solutions Limited
3 Corunna Court