The results of a survey have just been released which reveal the songs of choice for driving in the sun for UK motorists.
The results are as follows, with the percentages indicating the number of people who identified said song as their number one choice for sun-soaked motoring:
10. Sun is Shining - Bob Marley: 19% of people surveyed
9. Lovely Day - Bill Whithers - 27%
8. Rio - Duran Duran: 30%
7. Love Shack - The B52s: 33%
6. Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys: 33%
5. Club Tropicana - Wham!: 36%
4. Mr Brightside - The Killers: 40%
3. Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams: 43%
2. Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves: 48%
1. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynard Skynard: 52%
Well, that's all certainly...completely obvious. I mean, don't get me wrong, good songs all. Well. Most of them are. I mean, Sweet Home Alabama as the number one go-to song for summer escapades? Does anyone ever listen to lyrics any more? And why is there only one song as released in the past ten years? And why is it by The Killers?
Might I suggest by way of alternative a few choice cuts from Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion? How about a bit of Neon Indian or Phoenix? And where're Ash or mid-90s Blur when you need them, hey?
Or, if you find yourself freaked out by contemporary music, how about a bit of Pink Floyd circa Atom Heart Mother? Or anything by The Band or The Grateful Dead? Hell, just stick on Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited and be done with it.
Just saying, is all.